TEACHING POSITION IN THE DEPARTMENT OF HISTORY OF CHRISTIANITY
Job Level Open: Lecturer / Senior Lecturer / Associate Professor / Professor
The Pacific Theological College, an international and ecumenical theological institution located in Suva, Fiji Islands, is calling for applications by suitable candidates from around the world for a teaching position in the department of History of Christianity. The position is based on a potentially renewable 4 years contract starting from January 2022.
TERMS OF REFERENCE
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- A doctoral degree (PhD / Doctor Theol.) in any of the following specialized disciplines:
- History of Christianity.
- World Christianity.
- Intercultural Theology.
- Specialization in postcolonial studies.
- Minimum four (4) years of teaching experience in tertiary level.
- Minimum four (4) years of research supervision in postgraduate level.
- Good and quality track record of academic research and publication.
- Experience and expertise in employing postcolonial methodologies in historical research.
- Commitment towards disadvantaged people and grassroot communities.
- Commitment to alternative historiography to address colonial/neocolonial development issues.
- Openness and interest towards Indigenous/native perspectives and methodologies.
- Willingness to adopt justice-oriented pedagogies.
- Willingness to promote the vision of the college through teaching and research.
- Some knowledge about the Histories of the Pacific Islands, and in particular, of Christianity in the Pacific
- Experience and Readiness in teaching and supervising students for whom English is not the first language
- Some knowledge about the following:
- Ecumenism in the Pacific.
- Diverse Pacific cultures and traditions.
- Issues in the Pacific region.
- Readiness to work in a team with people of different cultural and religious background and nationalities.
- Designing and teaching courses at Bachelor, Diploma and Master levels.
- Supervision of Bachelor (Hons) students in their final year.
- Supervision of Master Theses from their formulation of research proposals to the submission of thesis.
- Supervision of PhD Dissertations.
- Organizing Conferences/Seminars/Webinars on relevant topics.
- Coordinating and facilitating Thesis Seminars for Master and PhD Students.
- Participating in departmental meetings.
Other Faculty Responsibilities:
- Participating in meetings of the faculty and different committees of the College.
- Leadership of pastoral groups.
- Contributing to and active participation in PTC community events and life.
- Contributing to worship life through morning and special chapel services.
- Participation in conferences and workshops held at PTC or the Suva area.
- Writing courses and grading assessment for PTCEE.
- Readiness to assist IMR programmes, if invited.
- The persons appointed are expected to be sympathetic to the aspirations of the island nations of the Pacific region, open to diversity and value of their cultures and ways of knowing, promote decolonization, and have passion to serve in an international, interfaith and ecumenical community.
- A fully furnished accommodation will be provided onsite.
- Salary will depend on expertise and experience in consultation with the PTC Council & Executive approved annual salary scale.
- Office with computer/printer, etc., will be provided.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION:
- The application must be submitted electronically with the following documents:
- A Covering Letter.
- Duly filled in and digitally signed Application Form.
- Curriculum Vitae, detailing publications, research projects and employment history.
- Copies of Academic Certificates in electronic form (preferably in an integrated PDF file).
- A detailed description of previous teaching experience, including courses taught and theses supervised.
- Two selected publications in electronic form (preferably in an integrated PDF file).
- Contact details of three referees (must include an academician, a church or mission board leader, and a former employer).
DUE DATE FOR THE SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION:
24th September 2021
Dr Gladson Jathanna
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT PTC
See website: https://ptc.ac.fj