The Pacific Theological College (PTC) is looking for a local person in Suva or Fiji for a full-time lecturer in Academic Skills and English. The position will be based on a potentially renewable 4-year contract starting 15 January 2020. PTC is an ecumenical institution serving the region of the Pacific. It is located on the coast in Suva, Fiji. PTC’s compound has housing for students and staff and faculty, administration building, chapel, lecture rooms, library, Mission Centre and sports facilities. PTC is a short drive to Suva’s CBD, shopping centers, cinemas and churches.
See the PTC website for more information and application form: http://ptc.ac.fj/?page_id=621
Teaching and Supervision
- Designing and teaching courses across the full spectrum of academic and research skills from Certificate to Bachelor and Masters levels.
- Teaching English as a second language to adults at tertiary level.
- Part-supervise student research involving formulation of research proposal and proof reading of thesis in the full range of PTC academic programs, from pre-degree Certificates up to Bachelor, Masters and including PhD level.
- Supervise postgraduate research students ongoing training in reading, writing, and editing thesis.
- Prepare PhD students for oral presentation of thesis.
Other Faculty Duties
- Coordinating and facilitating Thesis Seminars for Masters and PhDs.
- Participating in meetings of the Department, faculty, and faculty committees.
- Departmental and College seminar participation and organizing.
- Leadership of pastoral groups.
- Contributing to and participating in PTC community life.
- Contributing to worship life through morning chapel services.
- Possible participation in conferences and workshops held at PTC or the Suva area.
- Writing courses and grading assessment for PTCEE.
Qualifications and experience
- A suitable doctoral degree (PhD) or Master’s degree in a relevant discipline (such as Academic/Research skills or English)
- Teach and supervise in English.
- At least two years of teaching experience at tertiary level.
- Experience in teaching academic and research skills and acquaintance with research methods and analysis of primary and secondary research data and referencing.
- Teach specialist research skills for students doing certain topics such as education, history, sociology, etc.
- Teach specific skills for students to acquire greater confidence in working with online resources – both books and journals.
- Train students in how to use the “grammar check” function in Microsoft Word and also how to make an automatic Table of Contents in a thesis (in collaboration with the College IT team).
- Experience of teaching and supervising students for whom English is not the first language.
- Broad understanding and experience of the following:
- Ecumenism in the Pacific as part of the worldwide ecumenical movement.
- Pacific Islands and churches, diverse cultures and traditions.
- Willingness to work in a team and to dialogue with persons of different cultural and religious background.
- Issues in the Pacific region.
- Engagement in research in areas relevant to teaching and development needs of the college.
- Maintain close contact with other faculty members about the needs of students.
Run professional development for other faculty members – such as the anti-plagiarism training, and other development workshops, such as assessing work, supervision techniques, etc.
The persons appointed are expected to be sympathetic to the aspirations of the island nations of the Pacific region, open to diversity and value of their cultures and ways of knowing, and willing to serve in an ecumenical community. These are required of any applicant.
Remuneration and Accommodation
- Salary will depend on expertise and experience in consultation with the PTC Council & Executive approved annual salary scale.
- Office with computer/printer, etc., provided.
- Accommodation is not provided and persons appointed are required to find own accommodation.
Deadline: Applications will close 30th September 2019
Enquiries: Please send inquiries and applications for this position (full academic CV with contact details of at least two referees, and a covering letter) to:
The Academic Dean: Rev. Dr. Gwayaweng Kiki: firstname.lastname@example.org
and copy Principal: email@example.com